The Township and Rural Entrepreneurship Programme (TREP) is a dedicated programme to transform and integrate opportunities in townships and rural areas into productive business ventures. The focus is to create platforms that provide the business support infrastructure and regulatory environment that enables entrepreneurs to thrive.
Target Beneficiaries: Township and rural-based enterprises which are owned by entrepreneurs who are based in the townships or rural areas.
Initiative Goal: To overcome the legacy of economic exclusion by creating a conducive environment for entrepreneurial activity and providing dedicated business support to enterprises in rural and township areas including access to funding.
Channels: One-Stop-Shop business support service; Business incubation (remote); business skills training; product development support; credit guarantee; pitch-for-funding; and access to funding including working capital.
How to participate: Township or rural-based entrepreneurs must apply for support including funding through the common application template from the Small Enterprise Development Agency (Seda), the Small Enterprise Finance Agency (sefa), National Empowerment Fund (NEF) and the National Youth Development Agency (NYDA). Owners of the business must be South African nationals.
Implementing Agencies: Department of Small Business Development (DSBD), Seda and sefa.
Medium Term Strategic Framework Intervention: Facilitate the increase in the number of competitive small businesses with a focus on township economies and rural development.
The following Schemes are available for qualifying entrepreneurs:
- Small-Scale Bakeries and confectioneries support programme
- Autobody repairers and mechanics support programme (as well as small and independent auto-spares shops and informal automotive entrepreneurs)
- Butcheries support programme
- Clothing, leather and textiles support programme
- Personal care support programme
- Spaza-shop support programme
- Tshisanyama and cooked food support programme.
How to apply
- Register on https://smmesa.gov.za/ and complete the information required. Once complete, you will receive an email with your unique smmesa.gov.za reference number.
- The application form is available at https://www.eservices.gov.za
- Create a user profile (account) with the email address used to register on smmesa.gov.za, the email address and smmesa.gov.za reference number is linked to the eservices platform.
- Once registered and logged in, you are able to apply for the programmes available on the application window.
- On the option <<apply for finance>>, choose the common application template.
- Upload the required statutory documents: CIPC documentation, and proof of address as applicable.
- All statutory documents must be submitted before an application is considered.
- In case of application to purchase equipment/s and/or CAPEX, the applicants must submit quotations/proforma invoices for the equipment/CAPEX required.
- Applications can also be submitted to email@example.com should there be difficulties with the portal.
Download the brochure below for full information on the programme: